Overview of Middle Ear Infection
- With this disorder, the middle ear becomes infected and swollen. The middle ear is positioned behind the eardrum.
Causes of Middle Ear Infection
- In most cases, middle ear infections are triggered by viruses. In other circumstances, specific bacteria might be the reason.
Risk Factors of Middle Ear Infection
Middle ear infections are more frequent in babies and children. They happen more often during the colder months. Other factors that might increase the possibility of getting middle ear infection consist of:
- Recent virus-related infection, such as a cold or influenza
- Direct contact with second-hand smoke, generally cigarette smoke
- Medical disorders that cause defects of the Eustachian tubes
- GERD – acid reflux
- Children whose moms consumed alcohol while being pregnant
Symptoms of Middle Ear Infection
A middle ear infection may cause:
- Pain in the ear
- High temperature
- Bad temper
- Loss of hearing (might be only short-term, due to fluid build-up)
- Decreased desire for food, difficulty feeding
- Disturbed sleep
- Problem with balancing
Related Video On Middle Ear Infection
Was this post helpful?
Let us know if you liked the post. That’s the only way we can improve.